Saturday 16 May 2009

Mr Weston and the Ironing

For the uninitiated, Mr Weston and the Ironing is a popular beat combo and nothing to do with a gentleman and his pressed clothing. The Mr Weston of the group is a friend and work colleague of mine. I've known him for most of the time I've been at the BBC (19 years and counting), but Tuesday night was the first time I'd been to hear his band.

I've been meaning to go for ages, but usually his gigs are at pubs in awkward parts of London at awkward times of the day (well awkward for me anyway), but as he was playing at the BBC Club in Great Portland Street, which is very handy for me catching my train home, I didn't really have an excuse not to go this time.

I always have a certain amount of trepidation when going to see someone do something musically. I'm cursed with an over-honest nature, which means that I'm not good at lying, even when it is for the common good. So when I go to these things I always dread that I'm not going to be able to find something nice to say. Fortunately in this case he was bloody good, so no qualms about being positive. Easily the best performance that evening (although I only heard one other, but everyone who was there all the time informs me that my unwarranted belief is in fact correct).

Their next gig (according to their MySpace page) is on the 28th of the month at Cross Kings in Islington, in the unlikely event that anyone reading this is in the area on that day. They'll also be playing at the Eastbourne Lammas Festival (I always thought Lammas were camel-like animals that spit, but they don't have any of those on the south coast that I'm aware of) in August.

Or you could just visit them on MySpace and listen to a couple of their songs.

No comments: